Mercy Aigbe is a multi-award-winning Nigerian actress, filmmaker, and producer renowned for her work in Yoruba films. She is also the owner of Mercy Aigbe Gentry School of Drama, as well as a businesswoman and brand influencer. Mercy also runs an asoebi shop, a skincare shop, and a clothing shop.
Profile Summary of Mercy Aigbe
1 January 1978
Edo State, Nigeria
|Spouse(s)||Lanre Gentry (Divorced 2019 (sep. 2017)|
|Parent(s)||Pa Aigbe (father)
Abisola Grace Owodunni (mother)
Mercy Aigbe, the second of five children, was born on January 1, 1978, in Edo State, Nigeria, to Pa Aigbe and Mrs. Abisola Grace Owodunni. She was born in Benin, the capital of the Edo State. Lanre Gentry was her first husband, and they had two children and three stepdaughters together.
Mercy Aigbe married a Nigerian hotelier, Lanre Gentry, in 2013, after her previous marriage failed owing to her mother-in-meddling. law’s They have two children (Juwon Gentry and Michelle Aigbe) and three stepdaughters. She published photographs of herself in 2017 after her spouse reportedly attacked her. As a result of the allegations of domestic abuse, she divorced her husband and began a campaign against it. In 2018, Mercy Aigbe purchased a multi-million naira new home.
Mercy Fashion and Style
Mercy Aigbe is recognized for her distinct fashion sense. Mercy Aigbe’s outfit at the 2016 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards drew a lot of attention from fashion professionals, and she was trending on social media long after the ceremony. The garment was praised for its one-of-a-kind design. Aigbe started her apparel business, Mag Divas Boutique, in Lagos in November 2014, and then added a second location in Ibadan. At the Links and Glitz World Awards, she was named Fashion Entrepreneur of the Year. Mercy Aigbe bought a mansion worth $200 million for herself and her children in 2018.
She attended Saint Francis Primary School and Maryland Comprehensive Secondary School in Ikeja, Lagos for her primary and secondary schooling.
She went on to acquire an OND in Financial Studies from the Polytechnic of Ibadan, Oyo State, after secondary school. Mercy holds a theater arts degree from the University of Lagos in Nigeria.
Mercy Aigbe Career
Mercy Aigbe began her acting career by appearing in several soap operas, including “Papa Ajasco,” a notable television drama series. Mercy officially entered the Nollywood profession in 2006, starring in the film ‘Ara,’ produced by Remi Olupo in Ibadan, Oyo State, which promoted her career. In 2016, she established the “Mercy Aigbe Gentry School of Drama.”
She had always wanted to act, but she didn’t realize she would pursue it professionally until her OND years when it became a major priority for her. As a result, in 2001, she enrolled at the University of Lagos to study Theatre Arts in order to pursue a career as a professional actor.
Mercy is a businesswoman with a variety of sources of income in addition to performing. Mag Diva Boutique is her fashion boutique, which she opened in November 2014. Mercy also owns an asoebi business called Asoebi Mercy, as well as a skincare line called Flawless by Mercy.
The MAG School of Drama
In 2016, Mercy Aigbe established the MAG School of Drama. The school provides four-month acting, scriptwriting, filmmaking, stage management, and other courses. Students are guided by well-trained and experienced teachers who help them lay a strong foundation and acquire the skills necessary to succeed in the highly competitive Nollywood business.
Mercy Aigbe’s Cars and Houses
Mercy Aigbe just purchased a 200 million naira home. In the meanwhile, she bought a Toyota Prado in December 2018, the same year she bought the house.
Awards And Nominations
- City People Awards honored her as the Best Actress in Yoruba.
- Fashion Entrepreneur of the Year at Links and Glitz World Awards
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Yoruba) – 2010
- Nominated as the Best Actress in an Indigenous Movie (non-English speaking language) – 2012
- Award of Excellence at the Global Leadership Awards for Excellence (GLADE) – 2012
- Best Indigenous Language (Yoruba) – 2014
- 2013 Woman of Style at the MoreKlue All Youths Awards – 2014
- Yoruba Movies Academy Awards (YMAA) nominated Mercy Aigbe for Best Actress in a Lead Role – 2014
- City People Entertainment Yoruba Movie Personality of the year – 2015
- Fashion Entrepreneur of the Year Awarded by Links and Glitz World Awards – 2015
- City People Movie Award nominee for Best Actress of the Year (Yoruba) – 2016
- Role Model Awards at the All Youths Tush Awards – 2017
- Greenview Awards nominates Mercy Aigbe for Best Supporting Actress – 2018
- Nominee for Most Searched Actress at the NET Honours – 2018
- Most Popular Actress nominee at the NET Honours – 2018
- Nominated for the Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Yoruba) at the Best of Nollywood Awards (BON) – 2018
- Mercy Aigbe Wins Award for Most Popular Actress at the NET Honours – 2019
- In November 2014, Mercy Aigbe was made the brand ambassador for Elephant Gold Rice.
- Mercy Aigbe signed a one-year deal to be the brand ambassador for Prestige Cosmetic in June 2015.
- In July 2016, Mercy signed an endorsement deal with Edalaf Brother Limited, an IT solution company
- She was made an ambassador for a fitness company called “Shape you”, the company that produces Slimming Coffee in October 2016.
- Mercy Aigbe in March 2017, was made the brand ambassador for BK hair.
- In September 2018, She was made the brand ambassador for “Naija Taxi Services”, a company that deals with the transportation of people.
- Mercy Aigbe along with Bose Alao and Biodun Okeowo penned an endorsement deal with a Cosmetic giant “Mary Make”
- Ara – 2016
- Afefe Ife – 2008
- Okanjua – 2008
- Atunida Leyi – 2009
- Igberaga – 2009
- Ihamo – 2009
- Ìpèsè – 2009
- Iró funfun – 2009
- Mafisere – 2009
- Oju ife – 2009
- Omoge Osas – 2012
- Ile Oko Mii – 2014
- Victims – 2015
- The Screenplay – 2017
- Little Drops of Happy – 2017
- Flaky Ijaye – 2017
- 77 Bullets – 2017
- 200 Million – 2018
- Second Acts – 2018
- Heaven on my Mind – 2018
- Lagos Real Fake Life – 2018
- That Which Binds Us – 2018
- The Big Fat Lie – 2019
- The Reunion – 2019