How To Resurrect And Restore A Wet Phone: You are not alone if you have ever gotten your phone wet in the rain, dropped it in water, or spilt liquid over it. According to one survey, 25% of smartphone users have damaged their device due to contact with water or another type of liquid.
A liquid infiltrating a smartphone can have a number of detrimental effects. This could result in the following:
- hazy photos, if moisture becomes lodged in the camera lens
- ruffled audio, or no audio
- liquid droplets under the screen
- failure to charge
- internal component rusting
- complete loss of functionality.
Phones frequently fall out of our hands or pockets, landing on the ground, wet floor, or even in a bowl of water, or you may opt to jump in the pool while your phone remains in your pocket.
There is still a chance that the phone will not be completely destroyed. Try these steps immediately after removing your phone from water; they will cost you nothing.
STEPS TO REVIVE A WET PHONE
While totally disassembling your phone will aid in drying it out more effectively, doing so will void your warranty. It typically involves specialized skills and may result in the loss of your phone if you are not careful, so I do not advocate it. Rather than that, follow these steps:
1. immediately retrieve your handset from the liquid. A lengthy dive increases the chance of injury.
2. Refrain from checking to see if it still works or pressing any buttons, as applying pressure to the keys may cause the liquid to flow further inside the gadget.
3. In all situations, the best course of action is to immediately remove the battery, so reducing the amount of power supplied to the device, which may short circuit.
4. If you own a handset with a non-replaceable battery, such as an iPhone or Nokia Lumia, you cannot remove the battery. You’ll have to take a chance by pushing a few buttons to determine whether it’s still on and quickly turn it off if it is. In this instance, exercise caution when touching the phone.
5. Remove any accessories and attachments, such as cases, from your phone.
6. Remove the SIM card and any SD cards from your handset, leaving ports or covers accessible to allow for air.
7. Using a towel, dry everything, including the exterior of your handset, taking care not to allow any water to drip into the phone’s apertures.
8. Even if everything appears to be dry, there is a good chance that there is latent moisture within the device that you will want to remove before turning it on. The most frequently cited remedy for a wet phone is to bury it in a bowl of dry rice. Rice, for example, is a desiccant material with hygroscopic characteristics that attracts and absorbs moisture. Additionally, you can use silica gel packets – the type found in shoeboxes – to enhance the impact. If you’re short on cooked rice, uncooked rice will suffice.
Put your phone in an airtight container and completely surround it with your desiccant of choice. Allow 24-48 hours for the material to absorb all the moisture from your handset. If you’re feeling flush, you can purchase specially made silica-lined, hermetically sealed pouches for the task.
9. Once you’re certain it’s completely dried out, reinsert the battery and try turning it on. Best of luck!
What to avoid
Using a hairdryer or applying heat to the device in other ways is said to be a quick way to dry out a wet phone. While this would effectively evaporate any remaining moisture within the device, it runs the danger of overheating and risking harm to the components.
In severe cases of waterlogging, the steam generated may be unable to escape completely and will condense again somewhere in the phone. You may get away with it, but it appears to be quite dangerous, so I recommend avoiding this strategy.
Another frequently-recommended method is to place your phone in the freezer covered in a paper towel to avoid frost damage. According to legend, the lower conductivity of water at near-freezing temperatures prevents your phone from shorting out while in use.
However, this is not a long-term solution, since as the ice begins to thaw, you are left with the same, if not exacerbated, problem. In the process, you’re likely to damage your phone’s extremely delicate screen, which seems unlikely to be worth risking for a temporary remedy of uncertain efficiency.
For less severe dunkings, you may be able to get away with completely drying the exterior of your phone alone, paying careful attention to apertures such as the headphone socket and USB port. To this purpose, some have proposed gently prodding them with a paper towel-wrapped toothpick. While poking your phone with a stick is always risky, the greatest danger is that shreds of sodden paper may become lodged inside your phone, wreaking havoc on its internals.
One solution is to overcharge the phone to ensure that heat buildup is moderate and not excessive, however this entails all of the problems associated with sending a current through wet circuitry.
Be cautious of corrosion
If you are successful in reviving your phone, congratulations, but you may not have yet won the war against gadgetry’s Grim Reaper. When the metal in your phone comes into touch with water and oxygen, it may develop rust and eventually corrode.
While a professional phone repairer may be able to remove rust from the circuitry by swabbing it with rubbing alcohol – again, do not attempt this at home, children – in many circumstances, your phone’s inevitable mortality is only a matter of time. Sorry.