How to Register A New Car In Nigeria (2022)—This article will walk you through the process of registering a new car in Nigeria in 2022. It is critical that after you have purchased a new car, you immediately begin the registration procedure in order to obtain the appropriate paperwork establishing beyond a reasonable doubt that you own the vehicle and have not stolen it. If you’re interested in learning more about automobile registration in Nigeria, you’re urged to continue reading.
Prior to purchasing an automobile, there are a few things that must be in place. To begin, you must have attended a driving school or hired an experienced instructor to teach you how to drive a car in order to be well versed in the dos and don’ts of driving. After completing your driving school and receiving your certificate, you must apply for your driver’s license.
The driving license is available in two types: three-year and five-year and can be obtained at the nearest FRSC or VIS office, depending on the type. You are now a certified driver after obtaining your driver’s license. The following step is to read your new vehicle and register it in order for it to be officially documented as yours as mandated by the Federal Republic of Nigeria’s legislation.
To effectively register your car in Nigeria, there are a few things you must do or implement. Please take note that these documents are critical to your continuing ownership of your car, and failure to hold them puts you at risk of being caught by the proper Nigerian security services.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE REGISTRATION OF A NEW CAR IN NIGERIA
If you wish to register your new car in Nigeria at the moment, the following documents are required:
- Evidence letter from the company of purchase
- Receipt/Invoice of Purchase
- Delivery Note from the Company of purchase
- Valid Driver’s License as Proof of Ownership
- Valid Identification Documents (National Identification Card, Voter’s Card, or International Passport)
- Proof of Current Residential Address (You may also submit your utility/Nepa bill as proof of current residence).
- Photograph of the Car Owner’s Passport.
For newly imported vehicles, the following supplementary documentation is required:
- Individual Tax Identification Number (TIN).
- Customs documents attesting to the car’s clearance by the Nigerian Customs Service.
- Motor vehicle duty certificate
A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO REGISTERING A NEW VEHICLE IN NIGERIA (2022)
The following is a guide to vehicle registration in Nigeria in 2022. We’ve outlined the steps below to help you understand how to register a car in Nigeria. Among these steps are the following:
- Visit your local State Board of Internal Revenue/Motor Vehicle Licensing Authority (SBIR/MLA) to obtain an “allotment of plate number” form and complete it properly.
- Attach all essential documents and submit
- Once you have met the requirements of the motor vehicle registration authority, you will be needed to complete additional paperwork as follows: Allocation of New Vehicle Registration Numbers, Auto Vehicle Licence Forms, Form B, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Forms, and Tax Forms.
- Each completed form, together with any accompanying documentation, is then delivered to the licensing office designated police officer for verification. Verification is accomplished by stamping and/or signing them, as well as dating them.
- Following verification, payment for the number plate is made in the bank. The cost is often around 50,000, depending on the style of number plate desired.
- Once payment is complete, you will be needed to submit your receipt in order to be assigned an available number plate. Additionally, you will receive a Certificate of Ownership, a Certificate of Ownership Number, and a Vehicle Identification Tag (VIT)
- Then you will receive the original paperwork you supplied at the start of your vehicle registration. Cross-check to ensure that none of your originals are missing.
Read also: How to Clear a Car from a Nigerian Port
- Following all of the above stages, you will be required to get auto insurance for your new vehicle. This could be a comprehensive or third-party vehicle insurance policy.
After completing all of these steps, you can now safely drive your car around town because you now possess all of the necessary documents establishing that the car is truly yours, and when these documents are presented to law enforcement agencies, you can rest assured that you will face no harassment.