Ogulu Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu born July 2, 1991 popularly known by his stage name Burna Boy, is a Nigerian hip-hop artist and songwriter. He is one of Africa’s most popular and well-known artists. Stefflon Don and Burna Boy have been dating for quite a while now. He is a supporter of Manchester United and was present during the official launch of the club’s new away kit in September 2020.
Profile Summary of Burna Boy
Damini Ebunoluwa Ogulu
Date and place of birth
2 July 1991
Corona Secondary School, Agbara
Early life and Education
Damini Ogulu was born in the Nigerian city of Port Harcourt. His father was the owner of a welding company, and his mother was a professional translator. His grandpa, Benson Idonije, was a manager for Fela Kuti at one point in his career. Bose Ogulu, his mother, would later take over as his manager. Ogulu was born in the southern Nigerian city of Ibadan and began creating his own beats with FruityLoops when he was a teenager. He attended Corona Secondary School in Agbara (Ogun State) before relocating to London to pursue his academic interests in the United Kingdom. Later, at the University of Sussex, he pursued a degree in Media Technology.
He first gained widespread attention in 2012, when he released “Like to Party,” the lead song from his debut studio album L.I.F.E. (2013). Burna Boy secured a deal with Bad Habit/Atlantic Records in the United States, as well as a deal with Warner Music Group globally, in 2017. Outside, his third studio album, marked his first release on a big label. In 2019, he was named Best International Act at the 2019 BET Awards, and he was also named an Apple Music Up Next artist, which he received in 2018. It was released in July 2019 and won Album of the Year at the 2019 All Africa Music Awards. It was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best World Music Album at the 62nd Annual Grammy Awards, which were held in Los Angeles in February 2019.
At the 2020 Video Music Awards, he received the African Artist of the Year award. He became the first Nigerian to receive back-to-back nominations for the Grammy Awards in 2020 with his album Twice as Tall, which was nominated for the same category at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards. Twice as Tall received the Grammy Award for Best World Music Album at the 63rd Annual Grammy Awards in 2021.
As Burna Boy explains it, his music falls under the category of Afro-fusion, which includes elements of Afrobeats, dancehall riddims, reggae, American hip-hop, and R&B. Burna Boy’s sound, according to August Brown of the Los Angeles Times, is “clever and current, but unaffected by obvious crossover moves.”
Burna Boy was featured on the cover of the May 2021 issue of GQ Magazine, which was published in the United Kingdom. Burna Boy appeared on the cover of the Evening Standard Magazine in October of 2021. Architectural Digest magazine published an article about his Lagos home in the October 2021 issue, which was also broadcast on the AD YouTube channel.
Burna Boy has become a controversial figure in the Nigerian and African entertainment industries as a result of his outspoken political views. Due to anti-Nigerian statements by AKA, he has been embroiled in a public battle with the rapper from South Africa. South Africa was defeated by Nigeria in the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in July, and Burna Boy responded with a series of inflammatory and threatening tweets.
On the 28th of November, Burna Boy was embroiled in an argument with fellow Nigerian artist Davido at a nightclub in Accra, Ghana, according to reports. Burna Boy and his entourage were escorted out of the nightclub as a result of the confrontation, which was witnessed by the nightclub’s security. This came as a result of a quarrel between the two that began on Instagram and escalated.
Burna Boy’s Net Worth
Burna Boy, in addition to being an international music celebrity, has endorsement deals with companies such as Globacom and Star Lager beer, among others.
Burnaboy’s concerts are always sold out, both in the United States and internationally, providing him with a steady stream of revenue.
Thus, it is reasonable to assume that he possesses substantial wealth. Burna Boy’s net worth has been reported to be $20 million dollars.
Burna Boy Nominations
- Nominated at The Headies for Next Rated in 2013.
- Best R&B Single Nominee at the Headies 2014.
- Nominated L.I.F.E. at the Headies as the Best R&B/Pop Album in 2014.
- He was Hip Hop World Revelation of the Year nominee at the Headies 2014.
- L.I.F.E. was nominated for the Album of the Year at the Headies 2014.
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominated him for the Best Pop Artist of the Year in 2015.
Burna Boy Awards
- Best New Act of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2013.
- South Music Awards named his song “Like to Party” as Best Pop in 2013.
- MTV Africa Music Awards honoured him as the Best New Act in 2014.
- L.I.F.E. was named Best Album of the Year at the Nigeria Entertainment Awards in 2015.
- He was nominated for YouTube artist on the rise in 2018.
- ‘Ye’ was named as Listener’s Choice at the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival in 2019.
- At the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival, Ye was named the Song of the Year in 2019.
- He was named Best Male M.V.P. at the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival in 2019.
- African Artiste of the Year at the Soundcity M.V.P. Awards Festival in 2019.
- Best International Act at the B.E.T. Awards 2019.
- Apple Music Up Next Artist in July 2019
- Best International Act Award 2020
- Best World Album African Giant 2020
- Best Global Music Album 2020
- Global Music Awards Africa 2021
- Best International Act 2021
- Grammy Awards 2021