In the realm of academic excellence, envision a path where your passion for research meets the support of a world-class institution. The Imperial College President’s PhD Scholarships for 2024 aren’t just scholarships; they invite high-performing individuals like you to embark on a transformative journey. Picture yourself at the forefront of groundbreaking research, with the guidance of exceptional supervisors and the resources of Imperial College London at your fingertips.
As you read these words, consider the magnitude of this opportunity. It’s not just about pursuing a PhD; it’s about immersing yourself in a culture of innovation, pushing the boundaries of knowledge, and contributing to the global research landscape. This isn’t a conventional scholarship; it’s a chance to become a leader in your chosen field.
- Host Country: United Kingdom (UK)
- Study Abroad: Study in UK
- Category: Postgraduate Scholarships | Masters Scholarships | PhD Scholarships
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Reward: Full Scholarship | £25,150 per annum |
- No IELTS Required
- Deadline: Not Specified
To be considered for the scholarship, you must:
- Applications are accepted from talented candidates from Imperial College London, the UK and worldwide. There are no restrictions on nationality.
- Candidates must be among the highest achievers in their undergraduate cohort and in receipt of, or due to receive a first-class UK degree or equivalent.
- Candidates with a standalone Master’s qualification must have achieved a distinction or, where this has yet to have been completed, be able to provide evidence of high performance that will lead to a distinction. They must also hold a first-class UK undergraduate degree or equivalent (integrated Masters that form part of an undergraduate degree, e.g., MEng, MSci, M.Math, are assessed by Admissions as an undergraduate qualification when determining eligibility). Candidates with multiple standalone Master’s qualifications must have achieved a distinction in the one most relevant to their PhD study.
- Candidates with degrees from overseas institutions are strongly urged to determine if their scores/grades are equivalent to the relevant eligibility criteria.
- Before applying , candidates must have contacted a supervisor in an academic department at Imperial College London who has agreed to supervise their research project. Please note that supervisors are limited to supervise one scholar at any time. Please review the President’s PhD Scholarships Supervisors page for more information. Please note: current registered Imperial PhD students are not eligible to be considered for a President’s PhD Scholarship. The scheme is only open to new PhD applications.
Imperial College London is a world top ten university with an international reputation for excellence in teaching and research.
Consistently rated amongst the world’s best universities, Imperial is committed to developing the next generation of researchers, scientists and academics through collaboration across disciplines.
Located in the heart of London, Imperial is a multidisciplinary space for education, research, translation and commercialisation, harnessing science and innovation to tackle global challenges.
Scholarship Duration and Reward
Each of the 50 scholarships available provides the following support during the 3.5 years of study:
- Full funding for tuition fees
- A stipend of £25,150 (2024-25 rate) per annum to assist with living costs
- A consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study
- A programme of bespoke opportunities and events delivered by the Graduate School
You will also have access to the full range of support available to postgraduates at Imperial, including tailored support for disabled and international students, and the wider Graduate School programme of professional skills courses.
Additional admissions instructions
- For the 2024–25 academic year, the earliest start date for funded places is 1 August 2024, the latest start date is 1 November 2024.
- When prompted for a personal statement you must include a 2-page document:
- the first page should be a personal statement (motivations for applying to Imperial and the scholarship, and any other supporting information not included elsewhere on the form that you feel will enhance your application)
- the second page should be your research proposal. You may submit updated versions of this statement if required following application submission if your department shortlists you for the scholarship. You are encouraged to write in the first person.
- When prompted for the names of two academic referees, these should be people who can provide an academic reference to support your application (e.g., your tutor or thesis supervisor). You should not include your proposed PhD supervisor. You are encouraged to share this guidance with your two referees, noting, in particular, the recommendation to use ‘they/them’ language (rather than gender pronouns).
- To be considered for the President’s PhD Scholarship scheme, select this option in the funding section of the additional questions tab within the online application form.
A two-stage process will review applications:
- Candidates meeting or predicted to meet the eligibility requirements will be reviewed by the department to which they have applied. Departments will select a shortlist of the best candidates to present to the Imperial College Selection Panel for consideration.
- The Imperial College Selection Panel will make the final decision. The panel members are the Vice-Provost (Research) and the Faculty Vice-Deans for Research. The Panel will consider shortlisted candidates from all Faculties. Scholarships will be awarded to the candidates who show the most potential.
Successful candidates will receive written confirmation of their scholarship. Any offer of a PhD place will be conditional on final interview by the department and (if applicable) on the candidate receiving the predicted qualifications.
Applicants not selected for the scholarship will automatically be considered for the PhD.
Candidates are assessed by the Faculties and College Selection Panel against the following criteria:
- Academic excellence – as demonstrated by:
- past academic results
- relative class position
- Research potential – as demonstrated by:
- the candidate’s research experience to date
- their interest in discovery
- the research plan and its potential contribution as described in their research proposal
- the departmental statement, which also reflects on performance at interview
Successful candidates will receive written confirmation of their scholarship. Any offer of a PhD place will be conditional on the candidate receiving the predicted qualifications.
- Applicants who apply by 23:59 (UK time) 6 November 2023 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by end of January 2024.
- Applicants who apply by 23:59 (UK time) 8 January 2024 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by end of March 2024.
- Applicants who apply by 23:59 (UK time) 4 March 2024 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by end of May 2024.
Method of Application
Before you apply
- You must have contacted a supervisor in an academic department at Imperial College London who has agreed to supervise your research project.
- Supervisors are limited to supervising one scholar at any time. Please review the President’s PhD Scholarships – Unavailable Supervisors page for more information.
- There isn’t a specific scholarship application form.
- You should submit your application for admission to study at Imperial through our online admissions system. Your department will put you forward for the scholarship based on academic merit and potential.
Scholarship-specific instructions for the admissions process are below; you must also meet any additional application requirements stated by your department of choice.
Deadline: Not Specified
As you contemplate applying for the 2024 Imperial College President’s PhD Scholarships, remember that this isn’t just about earning a doctoral degree; it’s about joining a community of scholars pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
Submit your application and let your research journey at Imperial College London begin. The opportunities are vast, the resources are unparalleled, and the potential for discovery is boundless.