Canada has introduced a new immigration pathway under the Express Entry system that invites skilled workers, including carpenters, plumbers, and welders, from certain countries, including Nigeria. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) released a statement on Tuesday announcing this streamlined pathway for individuals with specialized carpentry, plumbing, and welding skills.
This new pathway allows skilled workers in these trades to apply for Canadian visas through the Express Entry system, designed to attract highly qualified individuals to contribute to Canada’s workforce and economy.
However, it’s important to note that this announcement signifies a targeted effort by Canada to address specific labor needs and invite individuals with expertise in these trades to apply for immigration.
About the Express entry system
The newly introduced pathway falls under the third category of the Express Entry process, unveiled in May. The country’s aging population and declining birth rate have reduced the available workforce, prompting Canada to adopt immigration-friendly policies aimed at attracting a significant number of young and dynamic immigrants.
The Canadian federal government announced a robust plan to welcome 500,000 immigrants annually by 2025 to tackle this demographic challenge. Over the next three years, the nation is poised to welcome around 1.5 million new immigrants, showcasing a commitment to replenishing and diversifying its workforce.
In 2022, Canada welcomed 437,120 Permanent Residents, signifying a nearly eight percent increase from the previous year’s total. Notably, the number of Permanent Residents from Nigeria also witnessed substantial growth, surging from 15,595 in 2021 to 22,130 in 2022, reflecting a remarkable 41.9 percent increase.
Benefits of the Canada Express Entry System
The introduction of the new Express Entry pathway for skilled trades workers, including plumbers, offers several compelling benefits:
1. High Demand and Competitive Salaries: Plumbers are in demand across at least 4 of Canada’s provinces and territories. The trade offers attractive earning potential, with salaries ranging from $39,000 to an average of $65,072 annually. Experienced plumbers can earn even higher, up to $97,500 annually. The provinces with the most significant demand for plumbers also offer some of the highest salaries in the country.
2. Favorable Provinces: Provinces such as British Columbia, New Brunswick, Ontario, and Manitoba are particularly in need of skilled plumbers, creating ample opportunities for employment and career growth.
3. Swift Application Process: The Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Marc Miller, announced that the first trade round for category-based selection will open in August. This streamlined approach expedites the application process for skilled workers with expertise in critical fields.
4. Addressing Labor Shortages: Canada’s Express Entry system has been tailored to prioritize inviting skilled newcomers with expertise in trades. This approach is designed to meet the growing demand for talent and fill critical positions contributing to the country’s economic growth and progress.
5. Ongoing Selection Rounds: The category-based selection rounds, alongside general invitation rounds, will continue throughout the year. This ensures a consistent opportunity for skilled trades workers to apply and join the Canadian workforce.
Minister Marc Miller emphasizes the importance of addressing the shortage of skilled trades workers and supporting the construction sector in finding and retaining the necessary workforce. This new category-based selection recognizes the essential role of skilled trades workers and welcomes them to contribute to Canada’s thriving economy.
In conclusion, the new Express Entry pathway offers plumbers and other skilled trades workers an efficient route to pursue rewarding careers in Canada, with competitive salaries, strong demand, and a streamlined application process that reflects the nation’s commitment to addressing labor shortages and fostering economic growth.
How to apply for the express entry visa
Applying for the Canada Express Entry system involves several steps. It’s important to note that the Express Entry system is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents of Canada.
Step 1: Determine Eligibility Check if you meet the eligibility requirements for one of the three federal economic immigration programs:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)
- Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
Step 2: Create an Express Entry Profile
- Visit the official Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.
- Create an online account and submit an Express Entry profile.
- Provide information about your skills, work experience, language ability, education, and other details.
Step 3: Receive a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Score. Your profile will be assigned a CRS score based on age, education, work experience, language proficiency, and more.
Step 4: Enter the Express Entry Pool. You’ll be entered into the Express Entry pool if you meet the criteria for one of the three programs and have a competitive CRS score.
Step 5: Receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA). Candidates with the highest CRS scores receive ITAs during regular draws from the Express Entry pool.
Step 6: Apply for Permanent Residence. Once you receive an ITA, you have 60 days to submit a complete application for permanent residence through the Express Entry system.
Step 7: Medical Examination and Background Check. As part of the application process, you and your family (if applicable) must undergo a medical examination and provide police clearance certificates.
Step 8: Receive Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). If your application is approved, you’ll receive a COPR. You’ll need to show this document to a Canadian immigration officer when you arrive in Canada.
Regarding your initial point about job search considerations, it’s beneficial to research your chosen province or territory’s cost of living, job opportunities, and lifestyle. While job offers aren’t mandatory for Express Entry, having a job lined up can increase your CRS score and enhance your chances of being invited to apply.
Remember, the above steps provide a general overview of the Express Entry process. It’s crucial to visit the official IRCC website for the most up-to-date and detailed information on applying for the Canada Express Entry system. You can also try the Canadian Visa lottery here.
For more travel and scholarship opportunities, click here.